google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Saturday, Feb 9, 2008 Ed Voile

Advertisements

Feb 9, 2008

Saturday, Feb 9, 2008 Ed Voile

Theme: NONE

I got bogged down by 15A: Wild way to run? (AMUCK). I had no idea that AMOK can be as wild a variant as AMUCK. I just did not know 9D: Capital of Macedonia (SKOPJE).

I gave up the fight very earlier on, and started googling without shame. I am convinced that I am simply not capable of finishing a Saturday puzzle without cheating. Right now, my targets are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Here are the recaps:

10A: Gun maker: COLT

14A: Gospel singer Winans: CeCe (BeBe & CeCe Winans)

15A: Wild way to run? AMUCK. Did you get this one easily?

18A: Calgary Stampede, e.g.: RODEO

19A: First name in denim? LEVI

20A: River of Venezuela: ORINOCO. Never heard of it. It flows into Atlantic Ocean.

22A: Formed into a ball: SPHERED

24A: Chita of "West Side Story": RIVERA. Remember the multi-talented Rivera clue on Feb 1?

25A: Shove aside: JOSTLE

25A: Clairvoyant: SEERESS. Female clairvoyant.

28A: Refer to incidentally: MENTION

29A: Greek letter: OMEGA

31A: Complete extent: GAMUT

32A: Hors d'oeuvres spread: PATE

36A: Military tactic: SIEGE

38A: Jazz sessions: SETS.

39A: In an upright position: ON END

41A: "The Prisoner of __": ZENDA. Come here for more information on this adventure novel.

43A: Sea lavender: STATICE. Unknown to me. They look so pretty.

45A: Superlatively ventilated: AIRIEST

50A: Actress Wright: TERESA. She is the wife of Lou Gehrig in "The Pride of the Yankees." Great movie. Watch 61 if you are a baseball fan, it's about Yankees' 1961 season when Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris try to break Babe Ruth's home run record.

51A: Plowed but left unseeded: FALLOW

52A: Pub patron: DRINKER

54A: Course outlines: SYLLABI (plural of syllabus)

55A: Questionable contraction? AIN'T

56A: Mount of Moses: SINAI

58A: Face features: EYES

59A: Carryall: TOTE

60A: Dress up: ADORN

61A: Annoying fit: SNIT

62A: Love god: EROS

63A: Mark sale items: RETAG

64A: Vietnamese holidays: TETS (Feb 7 this year, the same as Chinese Spring Festival).

Down Clues:

1D: Players: ACTORS

2D: Sweet-'ums: DEARIE

3D: Moving here and there: ACTIVE

5D: Cutting bits of wit: SARCASMS

6D: Melville's "Typee" sequel: OMOO

7D: Failure: DUD

9D: Capital of Macedonia: SKOPJE. How can I remember this word? Slavic words are strange.

10D: Keyboard percussion instrument: CELESTAS

11D:Worker's additional income: OVERTIME

12D: Flatten: LEVEL OUT

13D: Three-pronged weapons: TRIDENTS

23D: __ Kong: HONG. I put KING first.

27D: Confiscate: SEIZE

28D: __Carta: MAGNA

30D: Turn right!: GEE. Turn left is HAW.

32D: Follow in time: POSTDATE

33D: Located on the front: ANTERIOR.

34D: Rip open: TEAR INTO

35D: International understandings: ENTENTES. I tend to confuse Detente with Entente, a lot.

37D: Encouraging intellectual improvement: EDIFYING

40D: Data storage item: DISK

44D: Roman autocrat: CAESAR

47D: Comic Boosler: ELAYNE. I think I blogged her a few days ago.

48D: Amen!: SO BE IT!

49D: Plot surprises: TWISTS.

54D: Gilbert of Teasale: SARA. Sara Teasale is a poet. Sara Gilbert is Melissa Gilbert's sister.

Now I am famished. Need some power breakfast. Have a good weekend everyone.

C. C.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

C.C., I must say that Saturday's puzzle is usually the most difficult one of the week with all of those long words. I also had to Google SKOPJE and then adjust my 23D from KING. Keep plugging away, you'll be able to get them after a while! Couldn't see a theme for this one. Do you? I actually got AMUCK the first time through because of the clues from the down words. CECE also just fell into place. Actually, most of the names in this puzzle did that. Yes, 38A is SETS. Have a great weekend.
Crockett1947 in Portland OR

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Crockett1947,

Thank you for confirming 38A.

It's a themeless Saturday then.

I am plugging away, cannot wait till next Tue. or Wed so I can feel smart again.

C.C.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing as I type this. I recently discovered an unfinished Saturday Chi Trib puzzle (2/9). Frustration clearly had me set it aside. I finally broke down and Googled "The Prisoner of__" and here YOU are --I feel as if I've just been busted! I'll be back --thanks for the assist! AndrewB

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Thanks for leaving a comment Anonymous at 4:06pm.

Hope you will join us at the present time soon (March 13).