google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, Feb 15, 2008 Randall J. Hartman

Advertisements

Feb 15, 2008

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 Randall J. Hartman

Theme: "Small" Names. I have trouble summarize the theme. Can anyone help?

17A: Bedtime figure of rhyme: Wee Willie Winkie
25A: Nicely-Nicely Johnson: Stubby Kaye
44A: One of Robin's Merry Men: Little John
57A: "A Christmas Carol" role: Tiny Tim Cratchit

Does anyone know how Tubby Smith get his nickname? This guy is just so cool. (Update: The Tubby in Tubby Smith does not mean small/short as I originally thought. He likes to stay in the washtub when his siblings were bathed. He is the sixth of 17 children.)

Had to google 41A: "Leaving Las Vegas" co-star: SHUE. I mixed it up with another Nicolas Cage movie Honeymoon in Vegas. Did not know Stubby Kaye (25A: Nicely-Nicely Johnson Portrayer). Did not know Norse Evil God (11D: LOKI). Getable from across clues though.

Overall, no choppy water for me today. Easier than Tuesday's mythical crier Niobe puzzle.

Across entry:

1A: "Common Sense" writer: PAINE (Thomas)

2A: Give up: CEDE

14A: Surpass: EXCEL

15A: Haley or Trebek: ALEX. Jeopardy!

16A: Implement: TOOL

17A: Bedtime figure of rhyme: Wee Willie Winkie. I got this from the down clues. Nobody read this to me when I was a kid.

21A: Black-tie affair: GALA

22A: Texas Hold 'em phrase: I RAISE

24A: "All about ___": EVE. Bette Davis film.

25A: Nicely-Nicely Johnson portrayer?: Stubby Kaye. Guys & Dolls fame. Did not know him.

30A: Zip: NADA

34A: Actor Flynn: ERROL. He was in the 1938 version of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

36A: Word of Woe: ALAS (sometimes it's Ah Me)

37A: Indistinct: VAGUE

38A: __ Aviv-Jaffa: TEL

39A: Plain to see: OVERT

41A: "Leaving Las Vegas" co-star: SHUE (Elisabeth). She is also in The Karate Kid.

42A: Start of a long story: PART I

43A: Comic Foxx: REDD

44A: One of Robin Merry Men: LITTLE JOHN (Robin Hood's second-in-command)

47A: El Dorado's treasure: ORO (Spanish for gold)

48A: Ranked at a tournament: SEEDED

52A: Actress Ward: SELA. She is in The Fugitive. I love her in Once and Again.

57A: "A Christmas Carol" role: Tiny Tim Cratchit.

60A: HOMES part: ERIE (Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior)

61A: Cool: NEAT

62A: Maureen of "The Quiet Man": O'HARA. I tend to confuse her with Mia Farrow's mother Maureen O'Sullivan.

64A: Box-office receipts: GATE

65A: Young Turk: REBEL. Would not have filled in if not for the down clues. See here for more information.

Down Entry:

3D: "Rhyme Pays" Rapper: ICE T. Law & Order SVU. Can't stand his music, or any Rap. Besides, I like my tea to be hot.

5D: Qualified to pay: ELIGIBLE

6D: Texas Hold 'em phrase: CALL

8D: Aberdeen's river: DEE (Scotland)

9D: Some alimony recipients: EX-WIVES. And K-Fed.

10D: Sicilian volcano: ETNA

11D: Evil Norse god: LOKI. Awful looking. Trolls are ugly too.

12D: Kent's Lane: LOIS

13D: To shelter: ALEE

18D: Knight's wife: LADY

23D: Teem: ABOUND

24D: Button slot: EYELET

25D: Break off: SEVER

26D: Inter-team action: TRADE. Look at what we have traded away: Randy Moss, David Ortiz, Kevin Garnett & Johan Santana. Incredible, that's all I can say.

27D: Egged on: URGED

28D: __ Lee Gifford: KATHIE. I don't watch the Insider.

29D: Native Alaskan: ALEUT

30D: Hogan dweller: NAVAJO. Hogan is "a Navajo Indian dwelling constructed of earth and branches and covered with mud or sod."

31D: Olds model: ALERO

32D: Mr. Vader: DARTH. Hillary's said it's Dick Cheney.

33D: Sean or father John: ASTIN

39D: Switchboard overseer: OPERATOR. Our local Rainbow Foods often plays Sade's Smooth Operator. I like it.

41D: On the skids: SLIDING

45D: "Damn Yankees" role: LOLA

48D: Meal dish: STEW

49D: Dublin's land: EIRE. Always hesitate between EIRE or ERIN.

50D: Oklahoma city: ENID

53D: Art Deco designer: ERTE. Well, his real name is Romain de Tirtoff, Erte is the French pronunciation of his initials R. T.

54D: Captain of the Peguod: AHAB

56D: List ender: ET AL

59D: Guerrilla Guevara: CHE. It was clued as Fidel's friend 10 days ago.

I think this constructor Hartman loves pop culture. Have another look at his Feb 5 puzzle, peppered with movies, TV series, singers, actresses, personalities/hosts. If you don't like this, you might be in trouble.

C. C.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I jsut stumbled on your site this week, I enjoy your comments. Did pretty well today myself. I only was missing 8 clues before I had to resort to the net.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Thank you. I am glad you like my blog.

Somehow today's down clues are very friendly, rendering the across entries gettable. I would have to google STUBBY KAYE if not for the down clues.

C.C.