Theme: Hey buddy, can you spare a medi? - The sequence of the letters in the word SPARE have been changed and scrambled inside 17-, 32-, 38-Across and 11-, 29-Down. If you have the circles, that's fine. If you don't, then it's an added challenge.
17A. Airport security indignity : STRIP SEARCH
32A. Flour packaging : PAPER SACK
38A. Diva's big moment : OPERA SOLO
11D. Social gathering at a home : HOUSE PARTY
29D. Region beyond our atmosphere : OUTER SPACE
54A. Pocketful of coins, and what literally occurs in the circled letters in five puzzle answers : SPARE CHANGE
Lyegar here. I found having the circles and knowing the gimmick helped a skosh in the solve. Otherwise, a standard grid with mostly standard fill. Too many proper names?
1. Tennessee senator Alexander : LAMAR. (Andrew Lamar Alexander, Jr) Unknown to me.
6. Disgusting : GROSS
11. Summary on a timecard: Abbr. : HRs. (hours)
14. Olds model : ALERO
15. Emotionally expressive, as poetry : LYRIC. Dictionary approved.
16. OPEC commodity : OIL
19. Charlottesville sch. : UVA. (University of Virginia)
20. "Mazel __!" : TOV. ("good luck!")
21. Flair : ELAN
22. NFL Network talk show host Rich : EISEN. A journalist who attended the University of Michigan and was NOT an athlete although he was co–sports editor of the school's paper.
24. Father of Cain and Abel : ADAM
25. "The Maltese Falcon" novelist : HAMMETT. (Dashiell Hammett)
27. "That's enough!" : "STOP IT!"
30. Get started, as a grill : FIRE UP. Oh, yeah!
31. One-eighty : U-TURN
35. Bon __: witticism : MOT
36. Animal skins : PELTS
37. __ v. Wade : ROE
41. "Another card, dealer" : "HIT ME". Playing Blackjack.
43. Citizens under Caesar : ROMANS
44. Gorge : CANYON
45. Pure joy : ECSTASY
47. Quaint dagger : DIRK. 'Tis the one ye Scots wear in their hose.
48. Controversial Nixon records : TAPES
49. Blue jay or oriole : BIRD
50. Down in the dumps : SAD
53. Actress Thurman : UMA
58. Mo. with the shortest day of the year : DEC. Day meaning the period of sunlight.
59. Elaborate display : ECLAT
60. The "A" in "CAT scan" : AXIAL. (computed axial tomography) Older and less preferred term. per Wiki.
61. Fair-hiring abbr. : EOE. (Equal Opportunity Employment)
62. Thick-furred dog : SPITZ
63. Colorful tank fish : TETRA
1. "The __ of the Mohicans" : LAST
2. Choir voice : ALTO
3. "Jeopardy!" creator Griffin : MERV
4. The D-backs, on scoreboards : ARI. (Arizona Diamondbacks)
5. Tricked by a scam : ROPED IN
6. Sparkle : GLEAM
7. Meg of "You've Got Mail" : RYAN
8. Bruin legend Bobby : ORR
9. Attack, to Rover : SIC
10. One with a devious plan : SCHEMER
12. Metal fastener : RIVET
13. Bias : SLANT
18. Bed support : SLAT
23. Don of morning radio : IMUS. "Don Imus Leaving Fox Business Network". Didn't know, don't care.
24. Auto financing abbr. : APR. (annual percentage rate)
25. Aware of : HIP TO
26. Greek god of war : ARES
27. Japanese wrestling : SUMO
28. 'Vette roof option : T-TOP. The '68 Corvette coupe was the first U.S.-built car to feature a T-top roof.
30. Niagara __ : FALLS
32. Showy flower : PEONY
33. Crooner Perry : COMO. If it's hip to be square, this dude was.
34. Sharp : KEEN
36. "The more you know" TV ads, e.g. : PSAs. (Public Service Announcement)
39. Repetitive learning : ROTE
40. Builds up : AMASSES
41. Construction site headgear : HARD HAT
42. Bic filler : INK
44. Newspaper sales no. : CIRC. (circulation)
45. Technique-mastering piano piece : ETUDE
46. Short film role : CAMEO
47. "Legion of the Damned" series writer William : DIETZ. What? His website.
49. Naughty kid : BRAT
50. Cranky state : SNIT
51. Biology lab gel : AGAR
52. Fashion's Oscar __ Renta : DE LA
55. Narc's find, briefly : PCP. Angel Dust.
56. Boxing immortal : ALI
57. Firefighter's tool : AXE
Yes, too many names.
Note from C.C.:
Kerry S, a long time lurker on our blog, sent me this fun picture yesterday: 1-A: Town in Italy!