Theme: "Don't Look, Tinbeni!" - ICE slipped amidst the starred answers.
58A. Unemotional, and a hint to the hidden word in the answers to starred clues : COLD HEARTED
17A. *Menace to society : PUBLIC ENEMY
40A. *Command to an attack dog : SIC 'EM
27D. *Add zest to : SPICE UP
11D. *Beverage-named Denver arena : PEPSI CENTER
25D. *Many a news story, alas : TRAGIC EVENT
not melissa here. She's over here with C.C. giving us a spiffy pinwheel with the theme dead center. Plus, ICE is centered exactly in the heart of the theme entries.
1. Shoot for the stars : GO BIG or stay at home. Similar to fish or cut bait.
6. Group of musical notes : CHORD
11. Buddy : PAL
14. Get off the couch : ARISE
15. Part of a mechanic's bill : LABOR
16. Green prefix : ECO. Indicating something ecological.
19. Pod veggie : PEA
20. Between Europe and America, say : ASEA. I thought ASIA at first.
21. Permeates : SOAKS IN
23. Three-letter sandwich : BLT. (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) w/ fresh from the garden tomato, oh my!
26. Belmont Stakes racer : HORSE
28. J or D, for J.D. Salinger : INIT. (initial)
29. Musical sense : EAR
30. w/o delay : ASAP. "as soon as possible"
31. Gator kin : CROC
32. Apple desktops : iMACs
34. Fodder holder : SILO
36. Gael, for one : CELT
39. Wild (over) : GAGA
41. Joint for a dummy : KNEE. Not a crash test dummy but a ventriloquist's dummy.
42. The Emerald Isle : ERIN
43. Rodriguez of the Yankees : ALEX. A-Rod
44. Starter for 007's car? : ASTON - Martin
45. First name in perfume : COCO
47. __ Bator : ULAN
49. Conclusion : END
50. Actor Lugosi : BELA
51. Sudden gush : SPURT
52. Dorm VIPs : RAs. (Resident Assistant)
53. Tropical plain : SAVANNA
55. Spat : TIFF
57. Needle aperture : EYE
63. Came in first : WON
64. Pedro's January : ENERO
65. Brings in at harvest time : REAPs. Time to sow what you hope to reap. (like tomatoes)
66. Pecan or almond : NUT
67. Short-straw picker : LOSER
68. Win an Olympics prize : MEDAL. Verb usage.
1. Opening : GAP
2. Tulsa sch. with a Prayer Tower : ORU. (Oral Roberts University)
3. Highchair user's protector : BIB
4. Cuba, por ejemplo : ISLA. I'm curious; does anyone have plans for a visit?
5. Kimono-clad entertainers : GEISHAs. And we all know what sash holds their kimono closed.
6. Maker of Ultra acne treatments : CLEARASIL
7. Sci-fi pilot Solo : HAN. Viral video.
8. Having lots to lose : OBESE
9. Quarterback Tony : ROMO. Dallas Cowboy. I knew ... a name like Tony his last name had to end w/ a vowel. - Anonymous T
10. Low-humidity environment : DRY AIR
12. Crush the midterm : ACE IT
13. Cash advance : LOAN
18. Corp. heads : CEOs. (Chief Executive Officer)
22. Criticizes : KNOCKS
23. Latte-colored : BEIGE
24. Ex-NBA star Odom : LAMAR. He played for several teams.
31. Cousin of org : COM.
33. Corn oil alternative : CANOLA. Good or Bad?
35. Foe in "Batman v Superman" : LEX LUTHOR. Jesse Eisenberg portrayed Lex Luthor.
37. Hotelier Helmsley : LEONA
38. Looks after : TENDS
40. __ Paulo : SAO. Brazil
44. Colony with tunnels : ANT FARM
46. Call off : CANCEL
48. "Acoustic Soul" artist India.__ : ARIE
50. Crawfish habitat : BAYOU
51. After-Christmas specials : SALES
53. Attached using thread : SEWN
54. Texting while driving, e.g. : NO-NO
56. Release : FREE
59. Dr. of hip-hop : DRE. One of the few I remember.
60. Smidgen : TAD
61. Pollution-monitoring org. : EPA. (Environmental Protection Agency)
62. ISP alternative : DSL. An Internet service provider (ISP) is an organization that provides services for accessing and using the Internet. Digital subscriber line (DSL; originally digital subscriber loop) is a family of technologies that are used to transmit digital data over telephone lines.